Ysgol Gynradd Penmachno
Penmachno, Betws-y-coed LL24 0PT 01690 760394 Head: Bethan Davies email@example.com 155 pupils were registered present when Penmachno Council School opened its doors for the first time on 4 January 1909. For a short period between 1909 and 1914 there were no fewer than six schools serving the parish, educating a total of around 350 pupils: the Council School and the National School (Old School) in Penmachno, a National School with a branch for the younger children at Carmel Chapel in Cwm and council schools at Rhiw Bach and Cyfyng in Wybrnant. Today there are over 40 pupils in the only remaining school. For more information see the school’s website: www.ysgolpenmachno.org
Eglwys Sant Tudclud
The present church was built in 1859; however this is the third known church on this site. The church provides a home for the eminent Penmachno stones, a collection of inscribed stones thought to originate from the late 5th to mid 6th century. St Tudclud’s was closed in 1997 but through the sheer strong will of the village community it reopened in 2009 – becoming the first church in the Church in Wales to be reopened after being declared redundant. Since reopening in 2009 it has been designated a ‘mission church,’ serving as a place of worship for several groups within the village and also acting as a community facility. The Church is open all day everyday and is the only place in the village which is open most days providing refreshments for tourists through the self service coffee shop. The church also hosts an annual community dinner, craft fairs, coffee mornings and concerts.
Services: Communion Service – 3.00, first Sunday of the month; Family Service – 3.00, third Sunday; Morning Prayer – 9.00 every Wednesday Warden: Maggie Freeman 01690 760163
Eglwys Unedig Penmachno
At one time the Calvinistic Methodists had five chapels within the parish and the Wesleyan Methodists had three (plus the old Tabor Chapel of the Scottish Baptists) but only one remains open and all have joined to form Eglwys Unedig Penmachno (United Church) which meets at Capel Salem. Salem was built in 1873. The original chapel, on the adjacent site, called Tŷn-y-porth was built in 1811 and extended in 1845 and was converted into the village hall when Salem was built. Salem is a substantial building with a gallery and an imposing organ. Regular services, in Welsh, are held at 5.00 p.m. every Sunday. Minister: Reverend Gerwyn Roberts, Llanrwst Deacon: Iola Jones, Groesffordd Las, Penmachno 01690 760444 Secretary: Anwen Gwyndaf, Llechwedd Hafod, Penmachno 01690 760241
The fellowship is a group of local people who have been meeting for regular worship for many years. Contact:
Canolfan Shiloh, Cwm
Shiloh is a converted Wesleyan chapel that retains some of its original features, in particular its ornate ceiling. A variety of activities are held throughout the year and there is also a unique Heritage Room celebrating the history and culture of the Machno valley, incorporating interpretative panels, historic photographs, artefacts, a model of the valley and an interactive video display of oral history. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or 13 Machno Terrace, Cwm Penmachno LL24 0SA
Memorial Hall (Yr Hen Ysgol)
This was formerly the National School, opened in 1865 and held under the auspices of the Established Church but which closed in 1921 with only 13 remaining pupils. Most parents were ardent non-conformists who preferred to have their children educated in the new building of the non-denominational council school. But the name Hen Ysgol – Old School – is still widely used although the official name has been the Memorial Hall since it became a community centre in 1945. This is where societies such as Merched y Wawr and the Ti a Fi pre-school play-group meet and it also houses the changing rooms of Machno United.
Machno United FC
The football club has played a most important role in the life of the community for generations. Penmachno joined the Vale of Conwy League for season 1929-30; that meant hotly contested derby matches against Cwm Rovers! After the Second World War and a dwindling population the two teams joined to form Machno United. Machno have enjoyed considerable success in the 60 years plus since then, including 12 league championships in various leagues, nine second places and winning six cups, including the North Wales Junior Cup twice. For most of that time they were members of the Vale of Conwy League. After a period at the end of the 1980s and during the early years of this century in the Gwynedd League, Machno also played in the Caernarfon and District League becoming champions in 2012. As a result of reorganisation they were moved to the Conwy and Clwyd League, finishing their first season at the top of the First Division and gaining promotion to the Premier Division. Home matches are played at Cae Tŷ’n Ddol. The club lost a very special member in May 2009 when Lance-Corporal Martin Richards – Rambo to his friends – died as a result of injuries sustained whilst serving in Helmand in Afghanistan. He was a loyal member who never missed an opportunity to catch up with his mates when on leave. They still remember his enthusiasm and boundless energy – and his challenging and different training drills – and he remains an inspiration to the team. Secretary: Delyth Griffiths, Llys Ifor, Penmachno 01690 760113
Côr Plwyf Penmachno (Parish Choir)
Yn sgil ail agor Eglwys Sant Tudclud, sefydlwyd côr cymysg sydd wedi mynd o nerth i nerth dros hynny gan chwarae rhan werthfawr dros ben ym mywyd cymdeithasol Penmachno a chylch ehangach. Yr arweinydd yw Liz Green a cynhelir ymarferion bob nos Wener yn yr eglwys. Croeso cynnes i aelodau newydd. A mixed voice parish choir was established following the re-opening of the church and it has since gone from strength to strength, playing a very valuable role within Penmachno and the wider community. The choir is led by Liz Green.
Practise sessions every Friday evening in the church at 7.15. New members very welcomed.
Machno Silver Band
It appears that there was a band in Cwm Penmachno as far back as the 1830s and the tradition has continued to the present day! During the mid-20th century two of its bandleaders were Robert Thomas and his son, the famous tenor, Richie Thomas. By 1966 Dilwyn Evans had taken over who ensured that the band kept going until his death in 2006. The band was re-formed and the present bandleader is Gerwyn Roberts (aka Wil Tŷ Mawr!). The band play at many local events.
Merched y Wawr
The Penmachno branch of Merched y Wawr was formed in 1984 and the group have monthly meetings from the autumn through to spring in the Memorial Hall. They offer a variety of activities and welcome various speakers and support local events and good causes in general. Several Welsh learners have joined over the years to improve their command of the language and many have become fluent. All new members welcomed – as long as they are female!! Secretary: Dilys Roberts 01690 760302
Ti a Fi
This group of pre-school age children and their parents and carers meets weekly at the Memorial Hall. Secretary:
Menter Bro Machno
Sefydlwyd Menter Bro Machno i hybu datblygiad economaidd a chymdeithasol y fro ac mae wedi bod yn gyfrifol am sawl prosiect gan gynnwys cynhyrchu llyfr o ffotograffau o bobl yr ardal gyda nodiadau ar hanes lleol. MBM hefyd fu’n gyfrifol am ddatblygu ac am gynnal a chadw’r traciau beicio mynydd drwy’r coedwigoedd lleol. Menter Bro Machno was established to support economic and community development within the area and it has been responsible for several projects including the publication of a book of photographs of local residents which included informative notes on local history. MBM was responsible for the development of the mountain biking tracks through local forests and for the maintenance of these tracks. Secretary:
There are over 30 kilometres of single track trails winding their way through the forests of Bro Machno offering outstanding views and including very challenging sections that test the most experienced bikers.